Monday, November 14, 2011

VICE VERSES

I am hopelessly obsessed with Switchfoot.  Their newest album, Vice Verses came out last month, but I ordered it waay later than I would've liked.. It just came in the mail today- and my dad did something horribly, wretchedly, wickedly unforgivable.
HE DIDN'T TELL ME!
He popped it in his computer and started listening to it.  I came upstairs shortly, and after a minute or two of catching little bits of the music coming from his office, it was sounding so much like Switchfoot, but I assumed it was one of their older albums I wasn't remembering clearly.  The sounds kept getting awesomer, and I'm thinking, this can't be Switchfoot... It was driving me crazy that I didn't recognize the music!
It wasn't Legend Of Chin, New Way To Be Human, Learning To Breathe, The Beautiful Letdown, Nothing Is Sound, Oh!Gravity, Hello Hurricane, and I know it's not Chin Up-  so maybe it's someone else??
I hollered at him and asked what the heck he was listening to because it was awesome and I couldn't hear it well enough to recognize it..  He didn't answer, simply held the unmistakable album high and waved it around where I could see it perfectly.  I completely freaked out/screamed/and somehow managed to make it across the house, and a tall baby gate, in an incredibly short amount of time...
But he wouldn't hand over the precious CD!!!!  He insisted that he was ripping it to his computer and made me wait probably an hour!  OHHH it was complete agony.  No way it took that long to rip.  Grrr.  I think he just wanted the satisfaction of saying that he listened to it before me.  Wicked, wicked man.  Of course, he did  purchase it for me... But STILL.


So, as you might have guessed, I have Vice Verses completely memorized by now.. It's awesome, not as good as some of their other stuff, but some of the songs are freaking excellent.

I am now listening to Men At Work, Cargo.  Is that random or what?  lol



[ p.s.  I do hate to keep bringing up my endless disappointment in once-small and lovable bands, who were so much better and real-er before they got widely popular.. But here I go, and I might as well tell you right now that it won't be the last time  ;)
So anyway, to cut to the chase, dear Switchfoot has, in my opinion, changed quit a bit.  (I'm not going to say sell out, but I'm sure as heck thinking it) As I said though, I'm still obsessed with them.. Even if it's for the sake of what they used to be.  I suppose they can't be blamed for making awesome noise, and at least they still don't seem to be "adding to it" (props for those of you who "got" that).  But there was a time not too long ago when I could start talking to some random person about Switchfoot and they'd stare at me blankly trying to figure what I was talking about, and what the heck a switchfoot was, and why it was used in the same sentence with music-related babble.... (for the record, a switchfoot is basically a person who can surf left or right footed, and change feet in the middle of riding a wave).  If I do that now, or even last year, most people know exactly what I'm talking about.  Which isn't a bad thing.  All I'm saying is, they've gotten big.  Bigger than I hoped they would.  Just looking at their live concert videos is crazy, massive crowds and everything is big and extravagant.. And their merch store online is insane!  They used to make their own concert tees with stencils and puffy paint for crying out loud.  
Ok that was just weird.  Anyone who might be reading this can wake up now. lol ]

love,
abbey




1 comment:

Abbynoel24 said...

Weirdest thing ever- I was just about to log out and I refreshed the page, and two blogs that I follow (your being one of them) posted at the exact same time