Saturday, March 31, 2012

[when a college gets down on it's knees and begs you]

Well.  If you knew me, then you would probably be aware of the fact that I avoid large groups of people.  (like the plague)   Mainly if it's a bunch of people I don't know.  I shut up and space out, and generally look and feel like an idiot.  When I'm with people I know-- ok actually, sort of-- I'm totally normal.  (don't quote me on that)
Yesterday I went to a "young writer's conference" at the local college.  College campus + buses from high schools = people.  Lots of them.  And as I've already established, people equal fear.. kidding. ish.  I think many people would agree with me though- obnoxious high school students running on energy drinks and testosterone are not exactly un-intimidating.  Seemed to be an interesting group though, and quite a few of them did some amazing writing.  
It's a fun event, but the whole time the professors are talking about how awesome it is and practically beg you to attend their school.  Listing off accomplishments and success stories, which is fine because I know that's typical- (but it was humorous because behind me I could hear a student talking who attends the college and sorta got there without knowing what she was getting into.. She's a very talented artist/writer and has published a couple books.  But she's trying to get transferred and hates it there and all this.. so it was just kinda funny to hear her talking like that at the same time the president and professors are swearing up and down that this college is so great and it's "just what you're looking for"... heheh.) 

During lunch break with a friend of mine, this random girl from on of the high schools came over to our table at the back of the cafeteria.  She said, "I just wanted to say you're really pretty and I envy you"....... I find this extremely random.  But so sweet, and of course it makes me feel pretty good :)  It kinda made me wonder though, how many times do I pass up a chance to make someone's day?  A lot of times I just avoid talking to people when I'm in a big group of strangers- but wouldn't it be better to just be nice?  My thoughts :)  


For the last half of the "conference" (that sounds so snooty..) there were speakers and such, and the best one was very interesting.. I would have liked to listen to him talk some more.  He won the Pulitzer Prize last year with this article he wrote on the Chicago shootings of April 2008-  http://www.suntimes.com/pulitzer/4901379-582/the-story-of-why-they-wont-stop-shooting-in-chicago.html cool guy.

The downside this year:  one of the classes was really lame, and my bestestest friend couldn't go with me.. and that displeased me, but it was cool.  Over-all, it was great :) 




love, 
abbey









        

No comments: