Monday, January 14, 2013

Light Up The Sky


So the sunset last night was cool.  Pretty average I would say, but pretty nonetheless.
After the sun had disappeared behind the trees and hills, the sky became a dull pattern of soft colors.

The longer I stared at the sky the more I realized why something so average was suddenly so beautiful.. My entire view of the sky had become a rainbow; the colors were not bright and dazzling, they did not stab at me with the obvious hues and shape like the magic marker rainbows my little sister draws.  The colors were washed-out and faded, but intense.  blues, purple, green, yellows, orange, pink, and reds gently transitioned into the dark skyline.

While I stood there staring at the sky like a sentimental idiot with my brain leaking out my ears and then freezing in the balmy 12 degree (and dropping) temp, I thought about promises.. of all things.  And then wiped the snot off my frozen nose.

god makes a promise in Genesis 9:11-17, a "covenant" really.  Specifically with Noah, the dude that got to hang out in a massive boat full of animals and animal dump for nearly six weeks.  But it also says that all the generations to come are part of the promise as well.  It says that every time a "rainbow" cuts through the sky, he will remember his covenant with us.

12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”


Soo, all that to say:  I don't realize just how often that is.. I always thought rainbows were such a rarity, and as a kid I wondered why god wouldn't make that a more regular occurrence since it was so important.  And its always meant more to me than just a promise not to flood the earth again.. it seems to me that it is more an expression of his love and care, a gentle indication that he is with us.

 But it turns out, it is a regular occurrence.  Though perhaps a more subtle gesture of his love and mercy, he does remind us more often than we realize.. Far too often I take all that for granted, the love and mercy stuff.  But its a good reminder for me every time he lights up the sky ;)



love,
abbey











No comments: